Regional Safeguarding Officer — Carolyn is the Regional Safeguarding Officer covering both the Darlington and Newcastle Districts. She with a background in pastoral care and child protection within the education system. Carolyn has a Master of Education degree which focused on social, emotional and behavioural difficulties, holds a post-graduate qualification in Psychometric Testing and has also completed other training, including a 'Foundation Course in Behaviour Analysis: Understanding Perpetrators of Sex Crimes Against Children'
The Regional Safeguarding Officer has a key role within the Darlington and Newcastle Methodist Districts and is required to:
- Oversee Church, Circuit and District compliance with the Methodist Church's Safeguarding Procedures
- Be the focal point of contact for advice and the taking of referrals on all safeguarding matters; the Regional Safeguarding Officer MUST always be informed of a disclosure or concern about abuse.
- Be contacted by churches about all safeguarding issues, be fully involved and oversee all situations of concern including the establishment and review of all covenants of care
- Liaise regularly with Designated Officers of the local authority and the police as necessary.
- Undertake safeguarding risk assessments for the Safeguarding Committee.
- Take a lead on working with individual cases in the Districts including representing the Church in meetings with external organisations.
- Have a clear understanding of the issues facing Faith Communities as they seek to make their churches a safe place for children and vulnerable adults.
- Be committed to personal continuing development and to the provision of safeguarding training opportunities within the district.